Monday, February 11, 2013

2CUL Craft

Somehow I always get stuck
with doing the crafts for
the kids' school parties.
All the other moms are
too afraid.

So here is what we are
doing for Valentines
this year.



And this crafty-challenged
lady
has made a tutorial
for you and yours
with all my V-day love.

1 - Use graph paper
to make block letter


2- Cut out


3 - Apply glue on graph side.


3- Stick onto sandpaper
from right to left.
Remember it will iron on
like a mirror image.
(That's why you glue on the right side)



4 - Outline well with crayon.


5 - Color in rest of sandpaper.
(I plan to actually have hearts
but this was the scrap I used
today for the prototype)


6 - Heat up iron to cotton/dry setting.


7 - Cut out a square of an old white sheet.
(600 threadcount egyptian cotton
 is optional but soooo soft)
I happened to have a perfectly great
topsheet leftover
from our tragic "ruined by talon toes"
sheet set
shown here on instagram.


7 - Sew up the 2 cut sides.
I will use the already folded over side
for the yarn-tie.
(Use a sewing machine if you want)


8 - This is what I did to make it go faster
(I hear you screaming you seamstress people)
I actually may just use fabric glue at school.


9 - Safety pin your yarn.


10 - Lead it through the fold.


11 - Tie big knots on each end.
(So they won't ravel or go back into fold)


12 - Place sandpaper on finished bag
that I turned inside out from stitching.
(Hopefully you guys are smart enough 
to understand that part)


13 - Turn sandpaper crayon side
 onto the fabric.
Cover with parchment paper or a tea towel.


14 - Iron (moving iron in circles)
for about 30 seconds.


Wa-la



Inspiration for this craft
came from alphamom.

Like I said above,
I plan to make them actual hearts
and either pre-make the bags
or have the kids glue them
(because of school time limits)
or do t-shirts
or just make the
sandpaper cut-outs
and send
iron on instructions home with kids.

Happy V-day
crafting all you cupid moms
who like me
 are suckers for love.

Feel free to leave
all your suggestions for betterment
below in the comments.
I have til Thursday to fine-tune.
Or just tell me how cool I am
because moms need
to love other moms.

And you're so welcome.
I couldn't find a single
thing good enough
on my beloved forthekids 
pinterest board
so I had to tweak.
I'm thrilled
with  my mom 
abilities
today.
As you should be too.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Awesome tut :) Ambitious mom. I would vote for the take home instructions! (although most moms would probably just throw the project away :( ) That's a lot of work!