Friday, November 04, 2011

Book Review - Truckers

Truckers (Bromeliad Trilogy, #1)Truckers by Terry Pratchett

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The librarian at our local library has amazing taste in books. When she hands me a stack every time I go to the library I know I will like every single one. She is such a motivation for me to read often.

This book is the first in a series of three books and was recommended to me by her and she said, "You are going to love these." She was absolutely right. While reading the whole time I kept thinking I want to write books like these. Forget the huge daunting novel. How about a short, quirky, hilarious, and fun short series for older kids? I think I can do that.

The book is about a bunch of nomes. They are very literal and live in the walls of a store. They've been around since humans have even though they never show themselves to human. A group of nomes shakes things up when they arrive from the outside (a place no one thought existed). The inside nomes worship the store maker as their God and they try to follow all the signs in the store like "everything must go." The outside nomes try to be patient with the inside nomes funny ways and whimpy attitudes. The characters are wonderfully intricate and the plots are almost silly yet still intriguing. I read all three books in a week.

I hope that someday my kids will read these stories and get as many laughs as I did. Thanks you Terry Pratchett. You are so witty and I love your relaxed writing style.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

Sounds like I would be giggling while reading this one. I love a good giggle or a big laugh. Adding it to my good reads list.

Lori said...

I've never heard of that series, but it sounds good. I'm always on the lookout for something good to share with the kids...and I just can't stomach Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Goosebumps.