Sunday, May 29, 2011

The power of a painting


Recently, because of a very in tune Relief Society teacher, I had the opportunity to reflect on the evolution of my testimony. I thought long and hard about any spiritual experiences I had as a child. The main thing that came to mind was the amazing tingly feeling I had shoot from my head to toe when I received the Holy Ghost. Christian doctrine says that we must be baptized by water and fire. In my faith, at age 8, when a child is accountable for their own actions they can be baptized by immersion. Afterwards, under the hands of those in authority holding The Holy Melchizedek Priesthood, one can be confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and be baptized by fire when told to receive the constant companionship of The Holy Ghost. I had a really cool experience that even at age 38, I still remember vividly.

Besides this amazing experience, I could not recall a lot of details of times that I felt the influence of The Holy Ghost as a child. One thing that I did recall was a picture of Christ that my mom had hanging in our home. It was a beautiful sketch of Christ spending time with the children. I remembered that as a child, I spent significant time looking at this photo. It made me feel so good.

I can remember as a teenager looking at this photo, and having a distinct impression that I wasn't living in a way that showed Christ that I knew that he loved me and that I loved him.

As an adult, pondering this piece of art and all the good feelings associated with it, I had a profound realization. I realized that as a child I had a pure love for my Savior Jesus Christ. I feel like I have grown to love the Savior even more in the last few years, but I don't believe this testimony has evolved. I think I had a very strong testimony as a child that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. Now as an adult, yes I do have a great knowledge of my Savior, but it does not trump that I had as a child. If anything I am trying my hardest to get back to that pure testimony that I had when I was young.

Matthew 19:14  But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

And if you are anything like me, and are struggling daily with raising children. Go here. You will find inspiration as I did. I promise.

3 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the progression of testimony. I like the idea of our pure and simple testimony we had as young children being as important as a more matrue testimony. I find myself reaching back to childhood and trying to be more faithful and trusting and yes, pure in my testimony of Jesus Christ.

I still have that painting hanging in my house. I wonder if it did for my children what it has done for you?

Jenny Lynn said...

nice Sunday post.

Laura said...

i think i'm going to have to reflect myself. i love that picture. I grew up with one in my house too and i now have one in my boys' room.