Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Whole Month

I've been on my new journey for a whole month and it's been somewhat like detox. I don't feel the need to check my e-mail anymore as there won't be anything there for me of social importance. I'm surprised because I am kind of enjoying the solitude. I have had a lot of time on my hands to get in touch with myself.

I'm an attentionmonger. It's been kind of fun to attack this weakness. Liberating to not need people as much.
It also can be lonely. I have become more aware of how extroverted I am. I need more social in my life, but unlike my past I need the social to have meaning. I am trying to focus on quality instead of quantity. I want to start a bookclub. I feel like my bookclub ladies in Knoxville were some of my closest relationships that made a difference in my life.

I've been reading a lot. In the past two days,  I have enjoyed two books: Lucky by Alice Sebold (LOVE HER) and Heaven is Here by Stephanie Nielson. Both have given me perspective for me. I am blessed. I also need to be happy with a very small sphere of influence even if it's just my own little family.

The one thing I have been feeling a lot in the past month is that there is something out there for me. There is some way that I will make my stamp on the world, I just don't know what it is. I feel like I need to figure it out. It's been a little frustrating.

Am I supposed to adopt more kids? Have more kids? Write an inspirational book? Just keep living my quiet little life and enjoying my family? Then I go back to my self peptalk of "Alice, you can't live your life for other people to notice. You just have to live your life FOR other people."

I think the thing I notice the most about people who truly influence others is that they are comfortable in their own skin. My skin? It doesn't fit quite right. I am working on it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love your new blog Ali!
We need to get together this summer.