Thursday, February 14, 2013

Utah style Sugar Cookies

Here is my Valentine's gift
to the rest of you
that I don't sleep with.

I wish I could send you a warm cookie
through my Ethernet cable,
but since we haven't figured that one out yet,
I'll give you my recipe.


I call these 
Loralee's Sugar Cookies
(I got the recipe from my boss
twenty years ago
Her name was Loralee.
Go figure.)

This recipe makes about 60 medium size cookies
so be sure you have some plates ready to share
with neighbors
or make them on the day you are running a marathon.

1 1/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar

4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla

5 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
6 tsp. baking powder

Cream together the shortening and sugar.
Add eggs, milk, and vanilla.
Sift in the flour, salt, and baking powder at the same time
Mix.

The real trick with these is to let them be a little sticky.
Don't think you need to add more flour.
Refrigerate the dough for about an hour.
Then the next trick is to roll them out thin.
No more than 1/4" thick,
like pie dough.
They will puff up a bit
in the oven.



Bake at 350 degrees
on the middle rack.
for 8-10 minutes.
In my current oven 9 minutes 
was the magic number.

Let cool.

Frost with 
Buttercream Frosting

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter - partially melted
4 - 5 cups powdered sugar
2.5 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-3 Tablespoons of milk or cream

(for you cheapos out there
like my mom,
you have to buy the real vanilla
and the real butter
it makes all the difference
I get mine at Costco)



Enjoy.

No comments: