Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review: The First Husband

This is a paid for review for the BlogHer BookClub, but all opinions expressed are my own, of course.


In short, this would be a great book to read by the pool this summer.

The First HusbandThe First Husband by Laura Dave
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

About 175 pages into this 242 page book, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to say that I liked it. (If the end doesn't satisfy me, I have a hard time putting my stamp of approval on the book)The romantic plot seemed to be heading in a direction that I wasn't going to like. The main character Annie Adams, a LA based travel writer, wasn't certain if marrying her "first husband" Griffin (who I adored) was the right choice. She was wondering if she rushed into things and whether or not she should get out and give her x-boyfriend Nick another try.

I will end the peek into the story there, as sharing the book the cover is almost too "spolier" for my taste. I won't even tell you if I liked the ending because those of you that know me well, will know what happened. I will tell you that I really enjoyed the book. It took me a good 100 pages or so to really get into it, but I loved the book. I loved the characters and I loved the tidbits of wisdom in regards to loving the one you choose. I also loved the secondary sharing of travel logging and the knowledge shared in regards to beautiful places in the world to enjoy.

I related to Annie and her broken stubborn superstitious confused self. I think most women will, happily married or not. Here's a quote of hers from the book that could have come straight out of mouth: (Well, that is, if I have ever traveled anywhere but the United States.)

"Eight inches. ....(he) was eight inches away. I'd traveled clear around the world twice. I'd been to Dubai three times; Hong Kong, four. I'd found the tiniest town in New Zealand, which takes three days to get to by boat, and then, only if you know exactly where you are going.

I could get as far away as possible.

And still. I couldn't figure out how to move eight lousy inches toward the person I needed most."

I think this is a great book. I highly recommend it. (there is a little language for those of you easily offended) I proudly review it just in time for summer. It will be a great companion on a plane, to the pool, or perhaps best in the middle of nowhere.

View all my reviews

To learn more about this book or the author Laura Dave 
or join the BlogHer bookclub discussions, go here.

No comments: