Friday, April 01, 2011

So long Tennessee

I'm not a goodbye kind of person.

I am more of a see you later gal.

Or 'til we meet again.

I take comfort knowing that some of the finer things of Knoxville will still be here whenever we come back. I captured some of my favorites during our last days here.
 

Ain't God good?


Art deco homes.

Beverly Hillbillies playing at the car wash.

Hot doughnuts free for good grades.

Historical sites. It's especially cool when your kid goes there for Middle School.
I gotta admit. I am not gonna miss this one. Orange has never looked too good on me. Does it really look good on anyone?
Here are some of my Tennessee habits that are going to be hard to break.
1. Measuring distance in minutes.
2. Checking the weather constantly because rain is always pending and if there is any chance of ice, everyone stays home.
3. Switching from “heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
4. Using the word “fix” as a verb. Example: “I’m fixing to go to the store."
5. Going to Wal-mart as a favorite past time known as”goin’ Wal-martin” or off to “Wally World”.
6. Calling a carbonated soft drink (not a soda, cola or pop) but a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor. Example: “What kinda coke you want?”
7. Saying all y'all.

When we stop in St. Louis for dinner tonight I am going to try my hardest not to cry when nobody at the restaurant calls me honey.

Love all y'all. Come and see us soon. You hear?

9 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

What great pictures! I can relate so well to the "Tennessee Habits" having lived here 29 years.

Good luck! Travel safe!! Y'all come back now.

If you have time, stop at Ted Drewes in St. Louis for dessert--you won't be sorry. (custard, ice cream)

Lindsey Rose said...

I am crying again. I am going to miss you so much. I hope you guys are planning a trip back to visit, and you better call me, and you better not forget about us, and a whole lot of other things I was going to say but I am crying so I just love ya!

Lindsey Rose said...

And you are right, none of us look good in oraange!

Renee said...

Be safe guys!

Klin said...

Good News for you....
Here in the new place you are moving to you can still blog, go to Krispy Kreme for hot donuts for good grades or just cause you want a hot donut, measure distance in minutes- although there is a grundle of road construction so the 15 minutes to Wally World, might turn into 25 if they block a road or there are flaggers, or an accident, which brings me to we have Wally World and all ya'll is understood by some.

Offering a kind of coke might warrant a visit from the DEA and fixing will get you a deer in the head lights stare! LOL

can't wait to meet ya in person.

cally said...

I'm not a goodbye girl either, which is why I didn't say it.

I'm sad. I don't like to think about it. I'm just pretending you're at your house and we'll talk in a week or two. And when I don't see you in the halls at church it's just because...I didn't see you.

I'm so sad. I love you.

Diana Windley said...

I didn't know "we're fixin' to go to the store" was incorrect grammar until I moved away from Texas to attend BYU!

Holly said...

I will forever and always say y'all. It is just the best possible word when it comes to talking to a group of people. And I refuse to give it up. Out of curiousity--and I am sure I missed this somewhere--where exactly in Utah are you moving to?? You know if you ever need a place to escape, it is only a five and a half hour trip to Boise. And we have lots of room!!

Holly said...

I will forever and always say y'all. It is just the best possible word when it comes to talking to a group of people. And I refuse to give it up. Out of curiousity--and I am sure I missed this somewhere--where exactly in Utah are you moving to?? You know if you ever need a place to escape, it is only a five and a half hour trip to Boise. And we have lots of room!!