Friday, March 11, 2011

We love Ryan

Ryan has been one of Abigail's best friends since kindergarten. We absolutely adore him and his family. I am the proud carpooler who gets to take him home from school twice a week. Not only has it been an advantageous situation to get all the scoop Abigail won't tell me herself, I have enjoyed the time I get to talk to Ryan about his life too.

On Friday Ryan said he might cry for days when we move, just typing that is making me cry. We are gonna miss him so much. He is the sweetest kid.

Ryan loves to read. He loves Cheerwine. He loves his mama and his dad, but I would say he is especially a mama's boy. He loves to play the saxophone and he loves playing video games. He's a good big brother. He is so thoughtful; he often saves part of his after-school snack to share with his mom or brother or sister.

The other day he cracked me up while relaying his girl problems to his mom via cell phone. I was in stitches. He was like, "Mom, I don't understand women. I am afraid to get older."

The one thing I may appreciate about Ryan the most is that he isn't afraid to call Abigail out on her crap. He and Abigail are almost like siblings. The other day when we were on our way home from school Abigail pulled out a sign she had made to stick on the back of a friend from school. It made reference to the fact the kid was short. I jumped all over her and I couldn't do it fast enough.

"Abigail, tear that up right now. You never make fun of someone for the height or their weight or anything. That is not nice. How would you like it if someone pointed out your zits? I will tell you right now I absolutely hated it in Jr. High when kids called me fat. Even if you don't think it's a big deal, other kids might be really self conscience. You have to be more considerate. Really. Do you think it's nice to call people ugly or fat. Short is the same thing."

I was going on and on. I then said something to the effect of, "Do you think it would be nice for people to call other people four-eyes if they have glasses?"

Ryan quickly interrupted with his finger pointed tall, "I resemble that."

Ryan is super smart and a great speller and reader. I quit my rant and questioned him, "Ryan, did you mean, you resent that?"
"No, I meant I resemble that."

Laughter all around.

And I will let you decide if resent or resemble was a better choice of word.

I would never call anyone four-eyes, especially not Ryan. I love this kid. If I could adopt a son, it would be him. He's one of a kind. And he happens to wear some pretty snazzy glasses.

3 comments:

Rita said...

I love you Alice ~ thanks for loving my family, crazy and imperfect as we are. We are going to miss you horribly when you go. I hate even thinking about it.

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I really enjoyed reading about Ryan. I wish he were my friend, too. He sounds amazing.

Anonymous said...

Ryan sounds like a cool guy. In school, (former teacher here) when something would come up that students thought applied to them, they would say, "I resemble that." So that probably is what he meant.