Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Two-Fers

Did you know that the toothbrush was invented in Tennessee?
Yes it was. I know it seems odd after all those Tennessee teeth jokes. 
"How do I know this", you ask?
If it was invented anywhere else it would have been named the teeth-brush.

For the past several years I have been having a reoccurring dream that all my teeth are falling out. Or sometimes I have a bunch of junk stuck in my teeth and I am trying to in·con·spic·u·ous-ly (yes, I had to look that one up in the dictionary) rid my mouth of the sticky gum-like substance without anyone noticing. Of course in my dreams everyone is always looking at me and I can't do anything inconspicuously. (Wow, I got the word all by myself the second time around.)

Well, my curiosity got the better of me. I finally googled the meaning of my dream. And, oh my goodness, it's spot on. 

My dreams have been trying to tell me that:

1- I have anxiety about my appearance.
2- I fear rejection, especially regarding my sex appeal and femininity.
3- I am worried about making a fool of myself.
4- I have a sense of powerlessness.
5- I have malnutrition and a poor diet.
6- I have a family member or close friend who is very sick or near death.
7- I am putting my faith and trust in what man thinks instead of God.
8- I am lying according to the Chinese.

For me, all of the above are true, except for the lying. Unless we count lying to myself, which I try not to do, but I believe we are all guilty of it.

I wonder if when I quit residing in this great state of Tennessee if my nightmare will finally go away. And I think the answer may be yes. Why, you ask?

Well, it's a simple answer really:

For the first time in 8 years I am going to have dental insurance.

I am so totally lucky that I have only lost one tooth while living here, and even for that one a permanent cap fixed me right up, but, oh how I felt old. I have worried ever since about having to get dentures. I think I have done well since only having one casualty while residing in the land of famous hillbilly teeth. I wonder if my new dentist will be able to do anything with this mouthful of plaque? I really don't want to look like this photo for the rest of my life. 

Oh yeah, that's not me. 

Tennessee may have some ugly teeth, but usually the women with the ugly teeth don't also have a 5 o'clock shadow. And I am really not lyin' when I say that it's true that there are a lot of people here with some jacked up teeth. You'd think that I would at least be able to overcome #1 and #2 for the simple fact that I still have a full set.

I think you all should google your reoccurring dream and blog about it. I will do a post linking to you all with your story and we will see if Freud knew what he was talking about. Whose in?


7 comments:

Becca McCombs said...

I have the Exact same nightmare! That's so funny! Only mine is always my teeth falling out, not the chewing gum part. That one and the one I have most often is that there is a large, scary snake somewhere and everyone else is walking around it like it is no big deal and I'm the only one worried or freaking out that there is a big man-eating snake right around us! I wonder what that one means!

Jenny Lynn said...

I am in! Will google my dream later tonight.

I have on occasion dreamed that my teeth have fallen out! But it has been some time since I have had that dream.

Anonymous said...

That was one of my recurring dreams as a child (all my teeth falling out). Guess it's pretty common ...

My other recurring dream was going to see Jesus at a park there in Johnson City. The name of the park escapes me now, but it is near the Veterans Administration. We lived in a house across the street from it when I was born. I loved that dream (and that park), much more than dreaming of losing my teeth!

Angel

Katina Angola said...

I dream that I am spitting my teeth out. and they keep comming and comming. I also dream that My contact lense is way to big for my eye and still try to wedge it in there anyway.

Linda Clukey said...

I had a hard time finding a meaning for my most recent dream. I was fighting a war with my best friend and we were using silly string to win the war. Anyone want to give me a guess at the meaning of that one??

ShEiLa said...

Oh Miss Alice...
I love this post! You crack me up sometimes... we are so much alike.

ToOdLeS.

Becca McCombs said...

I have the Exact same nightmare! That's so funny! Only mine is always my teeth falling out, not the chewing gum part. That one and the one I have most often is that there is a large, scary snake somewhere and everyone else is walking around it like it is no big deal and I'm the only one worried or freaking out that there is a big man-eating snake right around us! I wonder what that one means!