Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Saints


I was at Wal-Mart doing my late night shopping last night.

I am known to hum or sing softly to myself while browsing down the aisles.

For some reason the song When The Saints Go Marching was stuck in my head.

While inspecting the breakfast cereal for the best deal, a woman stopped me in the middle of my measure. "It's so nice to hear from a good Christian", she declared.

I said, "Oh, excuse me, I just get a little carried away sometimes."

She said, "Please don't apologize. It's wonderful."

I was happy that she was happy. I was happy that she was a Christian too. I was happy that she took the time to tell me that she was glad that I was Christian. But, I was skeptical that she would still think so after finding out that I was a Mormon. Most protestant people in the South are taught by their clergymen that Mormons are not Christian.

I didn't say anything to her. I didn't want to burst her bubble. And, I was a little embarrassed that I was caught in my musical praise while dissecting the price per ounce of the Life cereal.

But, I would just like to take my Sunday post to declare. No matter what you have been taught by your pastor, please know this....I am true believer in Jesus Christ and his saving grace, and so are my other Mormon friends. We truly believe that we belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. And so we try to be saints.


And, if you don't think I am a Christian because I don't put something so sacred like my testimony of Jesus Christ on my bumper, I will gladly give you my best rendition of any gospel song of praise in the cereal aisle: "Oh when the Saints go marching in, how I want to be in that number, when the Saints go marching in."


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I sing to myself in walmart all the time. I don't think anyone has heard me yet though.

Marilyn said...

Hello-I thought of you yesterday afternoon when we were watching the poor Volunteers get thrashed during the football game. Verrry strange, no? Probably because you are the only person I "know" in TN besides my missionary boy at the other end of your fair state!

tiki_lady said...

LOVED it! Now, I am singing right along with you! OH WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN!
and yes, Alice I hope I am right by your side! you know the other side that LG isn't on and all of our kiddos marching right behind us!

tiki_lady said...

mr. incredible, oh my word! he will sing loud to whatever song tickles his fancy and is playing in the store. He has no shame! I can't help but impishly laugh at his ability to not care what others think. i mean belting the words out!

He receives compliments but I think people just compliment because they take joy in his openess and the frankness of his loud singing!

Rita said...

I would drive the customers out if I was singing or humming in Wal-Mart -- but how nice that someone noticed your tune AND commented!

You are a saint in my book Alice -- you and your lovely family!

a wynn wynn situation said...

Go Sister Gold! I love it when I hear people singing/humming, it always makes me smile :)

Nicole said...

Just looking back over some of your past post & realizing I really, really wish we hung out more. I wish I had got to know you better back in the days of the PTO, but Im enjoying getting to know you now. I too sing in the Wal-Mart. I also sing while fighting the masses of black friday & Ive found that people are kinder to those caught up in the joys of singing to their saviour.