I saw this sign posted the other day and thought it was hilarious.
Yes, that word is supposed to be tamales. I am not sure if it is misspelled or just misunderstood.
People in TN just don't get Spanish. I almost died laughing the first time I heard the word tortilla pronounced TOR-TILL-UH. I had to quickly stop myself from reacting out loud because the TN native was serious, she wasn't trying to repeat Napoleon Dynamite.
Here are some other things that I had to learn after moving to TN.
1. to run if you hear a banjo. (that is towards the banjo for those of us that are bluegrass lovers)
2. Walmart is GOD's department store.
3. Convenient stores are man's best friend. (I would argue that people know this one all over the country)
4. Moonshine can cure any sickness, virus, and sometimes disease.
5. Hillbilly isnt a label, its a language. (that I readily admit, I do not know)
6. It's baseball season all year long because everyone has a dip. (chewing tobacco, that is)
7. Bright orange T-shirts should be worn every Friday with pride, and if all your Orange is dirty (which is NEVER for natives) a John Deere shirt or hat is the next best thing to help you fit in.
8. They're not rednecks, they're Appalachian Americans. And if you can't pronounce Appalachian correctly, don't utter it at all. (App uh latch un)