Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Gratitude

Thanks to Liam's mom for reading my blog! I don't always acknowledge those who come to my blog, especially if I think that they are just looking for readership. But, for some reason, after reading Gina's blog I think I like her. And even thought my craftiness can be quite said, I also liked the cute Thanksgiving craft that was posted on thewoodenporch, which I understood to also be Gina's. Here is the photo.



Here is a link that Gina put on one of her recent posts. I found it fascinating. It is about Ronald Reagan's visit to a church cannery in Ogden, UT. Wow, we belong to an awesome church. If everyone in this world were a member, it would be such a better place to live.

I have a lot to be thankful for today. And, I guess we will just call this my gratitude post. Everyone has to have one, right? Things to be grateful for right this minute: 1- I made a new blogger friend who also happens to be a stranger, for the first time. 2- I just read an article that reminded me that I belong to a church that is awesome and true. 3- I just had the sweetest phone call from a new member of our church who has overnight become a fast friend. 4- I also have been pondering all morning about our Family Home Evening last night. LG gave a lesson about gratitude that included this modern day scripture: (for those of you that are unfamiliar, the Doctrine and Covenants are recorded scriptural revelations given to the first Prophet of this dispensation, Joseph Smith.)

Doctrine and Covenants 78:19 And he who receiveth all things with athankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an bhundred fold, yea, more.


How cool is that scripture. Although, I am sure I have, I don't ever remember reading it before. What a promise. If we are truly grateful for what we have, the Lord will bless us with a hundred fold things of this earth (So, this isn't a blessing we have to wait for until the next life) He will bless us while we are on this earth.

So, I have made a promise to myself that I am going to try and write something comical in every post. That is the point of this blog: to make people laugh. This is going to be hard to do, but worth the challenge.

So, what do I have comical about gratitude? Well, last night at the end of our Family Home Evening lesson, (if you want to read more about Mormon's having Family Home Evening read this exceptional talk by a latter-day Apostle) we combined our activity and refreshments. I had a big bag of gummy bears and told the girls that if they would tell me things that they were grateful for, I would throw them a gummy bear. LG quickly advanced this game to everyone opening their mouths and me trying to accurately toss the bears directly in. Boys make everything so much more fun.

So, the funny part...In the middle of all of this fun, LG started to feel ignored as the girls were getting all the candy. He said, "Wow, that gummy bear was so good, I am SO grateful for it. I wonder if the Lord will bless me a hundred fold."

I replied, "Probably not. It doesn't work that way. If you were truly grateful for that one gummy bear, you wouldn't be wondering if the Lord would give you more because you would be happy with the one you just got." LG conceded that I was correct, but I still chucked a handful at him. His gratitude wasn't quite worth one hundred though.

1 comment:

Gina said...

What a great relationship you have with your family and hubby. I love the stories you tell! What fun!

Thanks for linking me and liking me! Wow, I feel special today and SO grateful to have met you (via Shannon's blog I think). Shannon was my roommate in college and I love her!

Lani at the Wooden Porch is so great. She helped me design my ginamama blog banner. She is such a funny gal and is oh so good, like you, at keeping an audience on her blog. Fun gals you both are!