Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The WORK and the Glory

We spent a good proportion of May involoved with the filming of The Work and the Glory. Sophia has a short stint in the second film. She plays the three-year-old Rachel. I was such a good stage mom! We are looking forward to the film coming out in theatres. You will have to look for one in your area. With the first film it only played in a limited amount of theatres nationwide. The film is available now on DVD. I recommend it and the books by Gerald Lund.

Because Sophia was considered a "principal" actor when we were on set; they rolled out the carpets for us, as is tradition in the "acting" world. No wonder why they all have such big egos...the industry puts the actors on this awful pedestal. Although, I must say that most of the actors that we came into contact with were very down to earth and nice, especially to Sophia.

Well, as you can see, Sophia had her own trailer. Isn't she so special? When we got home from our first day on set, Sophia and I relayed all of the details to LG and Abigail and Bella. We especially made a big deal about her trailer. Abigail got a little jealous of the attention that Sophia was getting. I called the casting director and asked if Abigail could come on as an extra one day. Cookie was really helpful towards my sibling rivalry situation and booked us in for a day.

So, a few days later, Abigail and drove up the road 30 miles to The Museum of Appalachia where they were filming The Work and the Glory II. As we drove up and saw all of the trailers (wardrobe, hair, make-up) Abigail turned to me and said in all seriousness, "Where is my trailer"? She was in for a rude awakening as we stood in the "cattle call" lines all day with the rest of the thirty or so extras. Many crew members got a few laughs as I sarcastically inquired where Abigail's trailer was.

Abigail and I played as "extras" in a few horrendous scenes. Abigail absolutley detested the whole day and told me that she did not like acting at all. I couldn't blame her. I hated dragging her around to play "pretend" all day. It was 80+ degrees outside and we were filming a winter scene where we had to run up and down a hill multiple times. We had to wear Pioneer petticoats, bonnets, dresses, tights, uncomfortable "issued" shoes, PLUS, winter coats and shawls. We were running after a horse, and the last time we had to ditch the poop that he had deposited just minutes before, ruining the 14th take. By the end of the 15 takes I was saying, "Where is my trailer"? Oh, the things we do for our children.

At the end of the day, Shay, the assistant casting director invited us for another day of filming; I couldn't even seem to find any tact.(surprise, surprise!) When Shay said, "Could you come back on Tuesday?" I answered with a very loud, "NOOOOoooooo." followed by a much too soft, "thank you!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an adorable picture!

Gina said...

That is such a neat experience for Sophia! Not so much for you and Abigail. I am admiring you for doing all that for her though.