Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Rolling Thunder


This skyline means trouble Posted by Hello

There is a hymn that I really enjoy, How Great Thou Art. I am truly grateful that I can now say that I know what is being talked about in this hymn when it states, "I hear the rolling thunder".

Being a western girl, I never knew what I was missing out on. The best storm that I ever heard before moving to Tennessee was at the beginning of Garth Brook's The Thunder Rolls track.

When I first moved to Tennessee, we had a brief stay at LG's deceased grandmother's empty home. She had died the year previous and it became a very nice stopover for us while we looked for a home to buy. Grandma's house was two doors down from my in-laws and this too was nice for me since LG was living 90 miles away while attending law school.

The house was a three bedroom rambler and comfortable. It always felt a little empty until LeGrand came home on the weekends. One night, I startled him out of his sleep. I guess I was totally disoriented when I shook him and said, "LeGrand, LeGrand, someone is upstairs. What is that noise? Do you hear it? You have to go and check on it." Remember Grandma's house was a rambler: it didn't have an upstairs.

LG rolled over and said, "Alice, there isn't anyone upstairs, go back to sleep, it is just the thunder."

No comments: