Monday, March 07, 2005

Goodbye


Good news....you have the advantage over the telemarketer Posted by Hello

One of the joys of having a husband in law school is screening all of his calls from loan consolidation firms. Because he is rarely home, they are unlikely to ever get a hold of LG here, but it doesn't stop them from trying.

After a semester of an average of three calls a day, I got fed up. These people just were not getting the clue. They would ask me,"When is the better time to get a hold of him?" I would tell them, "Never, he is NEVER home." I always suggested that they give me their number and that I would have him call them back. They would always end up hanging up on me and calling ME back again a little later. UGh! They had the resiliance of a dandelion.

So, I came up with an ingenious plan. Whenever a telemarketer would call and ask for LeGrand Gold, I would say, "This is him." Now, I do have a low voice, but it isn't THAT low. They would always say, "Excuse me." I would say with the upmost confidence, "This is LeGrand." Then, the telemarketer would stumble into their spiel. I would then gladly cut them off, tell them that I wasn't interested, and kindly instruct them to take us off their calling list.

One time this guy called and he had the nerve to say, "You have to be kidding; You are not a man." Oh, this made me REALLY mad! How dare he say that I have a woman's voice!? I gave him a piece of my mind for his insult and then gladly instructed him to take us off his calling list.

THIS IS PRECISELY THE ADVANTAGE THAT YOU HAVE OVER THE TELEMARKETER. They don't know you, therefore, they cannot tell YOU what your voice should sound like! Face it, we all know a man with a mousy voice of a whimpy woman and visa versa. Just the other day, I was caught off guard when I called a new friend. I said, B*** (Her husband's name)?" , only to find out that it was her mother-in-law (quite the smoker).

Well, I must have been successful in my strategy. We are now the proud receivers of less than one student loan call per month. They may have won the battle, but we won the war.

If you have trouble with telemarketers and you can't come up with as elaborate of a plan as above to get rid of them, may I kindly suggest what my witty father-in-law does to get rid of them?

He cuts them off and says, "Let me ask you just one thing?" The say, "What is that?" He then inquires,"Is this a good buy?" They say,"Of course it is a good buy?" He then says, "O.k. goodbye."

No comments: