Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Tennessee Judiciary


Courhouse for the 6th Circuit of the Eastern District of TN Posted by Hello

Alright, here's another funny story.

My friend had knee surgery on Monday and because her husband was unable to go with her, I offered to accompany her. She gladly accepted my offer, so I got my mother-in-law (she is such a saint) to take the kids.

When we got to the same-day-surgery unit, I instantly realized that these people were all thinking that we were a "couple". I had just had my haircut short, we both had wedding rings on...etc.etc. When I went in with her and she had to get her gown on, it became a little too much for me to keep quiet about. I just HAD to tell the nurse that, "I AM HER FRIEND, her husband couldn't be here today."

When the orthopedic surgeon came out and called for my friend's family to come and get the scoop....I stood up. He had a VERY surprised look on his face. My friend is very wholesome and innocent and I could see the look of utter astonishment in his eyes. My husband got a chuckle as I told him the first words that I said to the surgeon (we're going back to my obsessive need to explain myself). I said, "I am just a FRIEND of hers; her husband had to work today." The surgeon looked somewhat relieved, but also dissapointed...go figure?

Well, I went and sat back down in the lobby, waiting for my friend to come out of her anesthesia (they said they would call me). I decided that after two hours it was time to strike up a conversation with the man sitting closest to me. He looked in his 70's or 80's. I asked him who he was waiting for. He said, "My wife is having surgery on her breast today." (I guess when you get to a certain age, you don't blush saying the word breast to a woman who is a total stranger.) He went on to relay that him and his wife were in the their 60's and then he proceeded with their whole medical history. His wife had a tumor in her breast and he had lung cancer in 1996, but came out just fine. (I was astonished when he went for a smoke break a little while later)

Well, as he was talking on and on about his family's medical history, I thought to myself, "Oh no, I am going to be stuck hearing all about this for the next hour." I then caught a glimpse of his baseball cap...it said, "Tennessee Judiciary". Then, I thought, score, I may have just made my husband a contact with a judge or somebody important. I then proceeded to tell him that my husband was in Law School and I made reference to his hat. He said, "I worked for the TN Supreme Court for 29 years.(or some high figure like 29)"

I said, "Oh yeah, what did you do?" He said, "I was in the maintanence department." Well, there went my contact, unless LG wants to clean the floors of the courthouse for the rest of his life....I don't think that would pay off the student loans, though.

Well, I didn't want to make the man feel bad, and so I said,"That is what my dad does for a living. He is in maintenance." [My dad is a contractor and can do or fix anything, but he maitains all of the LDS church buildings in Southern Utah]. He smiled as if to say, "Well, I am glad that you understand.", but he didn't say another word until I probed him for more private family information. It is amazing what you can learn about a person in one hour. He turned out to be a really nice guy; the best guy I know in the Tennessee Judiciary.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Awesome post! That is so neat you made the most of the situation! And Kudos to your dad for all the work he does for the church here in Utah!