Thursday, February 17, 2005

Open mouth, insert Penelope


Who names their daughter Penelope?

Shortly after my husband and I were married, he was fortunate to get a glimpse at the excitement that he would have the rest of his life...and I am not talking about the honeymoon. I am talking about a most entertaining encounter we had with a few old guy friends of mine.

We went into an ice-cream joint with my brother and his wife. As we were about to sit down, I spotted these three friends of mine. They were sitting at the table with another guy that I didn't know and his wife and baby. She was just a few months old. Now, for the background, you have to know that these guys were the biggest jokesters.....i like hanging out with people of my own kind.

I introduced my husband, they introduced their friend, his wife, and then one of them said, "And this is their daughter, Penelope." I instantly started cracking up, thinking that they had come up with a pretty good joke on the spot. I said, "Yeah right, who would name their daughter Penelope." The joke was on me; her name really was Penelope. Poor LG, he could have died right there on the spot.

No comments: