Friday, February 25, 2005

Kids say the d a r n d e s t things


Watermelon Posted by Hello

Following up on my last entry. Kids are so FUNNY! They cannot resist at stating the obvious. When you are driving down the road you will hear, "Mom, there is a cow." "Dad, you are driving too fast."

At the grocery store, "There are Fruit Loops, there is Cocoa Puffs, those are Cheerios." You get the drift.

One day, I got out one of the girls' piggy banks and as I was getting it down off the shelf, the lid slipped off and change spilled all over the kitchen floor. It was no surprise to hear,"Mom, you spilled all the money." I laughed and said,"Oh really, I know, Sometimes I am so clumsy, Should we pick it up?"

A little while later, in the same day, I got a watermelon out of the fridge. No joke, this is what I hear coming out of a little voice behind me, "Mom, you are fat, just like that watermelon." Well, gee, thanks. No, "oh really", was going to work for this offense. We have taught our girls to only refer to things as fat, not people. I think that she thought this was OK, because she was talking about the watermelon.

I tried not to crack up as I gave her the very brief reminder that it isn't nice to call people fat. I resisted from saying what I was really thinking,"Hey, you little snot....would you like me to crack this watermelon over your head, so that you can feel what it is like to get pregnant and fat and give birth to a child that will just call you fat one day." Of course I wouldn't say that, all I could think of was, "Aren't you clever with your use of words; you are only three and you just used a really good analogy." What in the world? You know I must be a mother.

No comments: